In a bold move, Johnston Sweepers has completely re-launched its V Range truck mounted sweeper line-up, entirely replacing the current models to bring to the market a product which boasts Johnston’s longest-ever on-station work time, even lower running costs and a host of new features to make sweeping more efficient, cost effective and friendly to the environment than ever before.
The new VT651 is the natural evolution of the hugely popular outgoing VT650 model, incorporating literally thousands of customer-led design upgrades as part of Johnston’s commitment to customer feedback and design excellence.
The launch of the all-new VT651 follows three years of intensive design and testing by Johnston’s engineering team, which has involved re-examining every single component of the V Range to bring the clever new sweepers to market.
Fuel Efficient JCB Power Packs
Power to the acclaimed auxiliary engine system will be supplied by a range of the cleanest and most efficient engines available, designed and built in Britain by JCB. Brand new to the Johnston range, the engines were chosen for their advanced engineering, the 55kW pack already meeting future Tier 4 final emissions legislation – the only engine able to do this in its displacement class without the complication of requiring SCR (Ad-blueTM) after-treatment systems to clean the exhaust system. The engines deliver even better fuel consumption and lower emissions than ever before, reducing operating costs and helping authorities to improve their air quality scores, whilst also lowering vibration and noise generation for greater operator comfort and less noise pollution.
Longer On-Station Work Time
One of the most immediately striking features of the new range is the increased on-station work time, made possible by larger water tanks with a 21% increase in capacity on the V651), combined with all-new improved water jets, which make a more intelligent use of the water for maximum dust suppression and water conservation.The jets in the nozzles are now also self-unblocking so that the water system is always ready for action. This, together with an increased hopper capacity on the V501 model means fewer returns to base for re-fills and keeps the sweeper out at work for longer.
Data Capture Monitors Sweeping Operations
All this improved efficiency and economy can now be tracked by customers for themselves through Johnston’s clever CANbus control system, introduced for the first time on the truck mounted sweeper range having been well-proven on Johnston’s compact sweepers. At the heart of the system is a new 7″ color screen which displays all the operational information needed by the driver – including, for the first time, an in-cab water tank gauge – as well as the diagnostic data for safety and maintenance. The screen can be linked to up to four cameras around the sweeper for greater visibility and safety.A really invaluable feature of the new system is its data capture facility, which allows information such as fuel consumption and hours swept data to be downloaded to a memory stick via the screen’s USB port. This real-time cost and operational information is a facility that fleet operators are finding increasingly valuable in the monitoring and management of sweeping operations and costs – and allows customers to see the evidence of Johnston’s claimed fuel savings for themselves! The controls for the CANbus system itself are now all located by the grab-rail on the door, supplying ergonomic and easily accessible operation without having to take your eyes off the road, while the old relay box has now gone to make more space inside the cab.
In-cab controls are ergonomically positioned to provide safe and easy operation while sweeping.A full CANbus integrated control pad allows the operator to safely adjust all the sweep options.The CANbus system monitors sweeper performance and provides daily checks. The display incorporates as standard an audible and visual raised hopper warning, fuel gauge, engine hour meter, tachometer and a water level gauge. In addition, data can be downloaded via a USB stick, showing a range of information from fuel consumption to average sweeping times.Throttle control of the auxiliary engine is infinitely variable ensuring optimum operational and fuel efficiency with no performance compromised. With a 1500 rev Eco-mode built into the V Range, fuel conservation is enhanced and noise levels are reduced.Pendant controls connected via a flexible cable allows the operator to safely tip the body and open the rear door from either side of the cab, at the same time maintaining a clear view of the tipping area.
- To extend brush life, the wide-sweep brush can also be adjusted using the pendant control.
- As standard, all Johnston V Range sweepers are fitted with a body prop which automatically engages when the hopper is raised, and has a choice of four tipping heights.
- The auxiliary engine and hydrostatic drive pump is accessed via a wide lightweight service ladder giving constant three-points of contact for the user.
- All V Range models have equipment lockers on both sides of the hopper for storage of hydrant or Aluminum Catch Basin extension tubes.
- All critical controls – including valves, solenoids and auxiliary equipment for pneumatic, hydraulic and water systems are contained in a purpose built locker on the right hand side of the vehicle. The ease of access to this equipment aids diagnostic checks and maintenance. Additionally, the V Range is also fitted with waterproof IP67 automotive electrical connectors for enhanced reliability.
- As standard, the V Range sweeper features a Pressadrain water purging system so that when freezing weather conditions are anticipated, water is easily and conveniently drained by operating a simple in-cab switch.
- Water jets in the nozzles are self-cleaning which extends the life of the components.